Beginner's Guide to Roleplay

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginner's Guide to Roleplay

Post  Plasma on Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 pm

Now, this may be your first Roleplay guide, so we will start with basic rules, and terms. So lets get started.

Some Roleplay terms are Metagaming (MG'ing), Powergaming (PG'ing), In-Character (IC), Out-of-character (OOC), Success or Fail (S/F?), and Attempts.

In-Character is anything, that will be taken through your character, in the game. It is any information that he will have, through any other In-Character events.

Out-of-character is anything that is not taken through your character, in-game (IG).

Metagaming is using Out-Of-Character information as In-Character information. For example; you see a player's name above their head. Lets use the name "John Williams". And you walk over to them, and say "Hello John!". Thats Metagaming. Their name above their head is Out-Of-Character, and has to remain Out-Of-Character. Unless they tell you their name, someone else tells you their name, or you see their ID, its considered Metagaming.

Powergaming is the act of forcing actions upon another player. For example; you walk over to another player, and say "You have a gunshot wound! We have to get you to the hospital!", when they don't have a gunshot wound, thats Powergaming.

Okay. So, lets get down to what /me's and /do's are;

For this example, we'll use the names "John Williams", and "Blake Thompson".

John walks over to Blake, and uses the command "/me reaches into his inner jacket pocket, and draws his 9mm. Pistol." It will then show up as "Blake Thompson reaches into his inner jacket pocket, and draws his 9mm. Pistol."
Then, Blake says "/me aims the pistol at John's head, while shouting;" Now, here, is where you want to use the normal talk to say your next dialog. For a shout, you can use /s(shout).
So, Blake then says "/s Give me all of your money, or your gonna' die!" With the /s command, it will show up as "Blake Thompson shouts: Give me all of your money, or your gonna' die!"
John then, may either fight back, or just give Blake his money. For example, John may say "/me slowly reaches into his back pocket, and pulls out his wallet." Then "/me tosses his wallet back behind him"
Then, Blake may say "/me picks up the wallet, and opens it."
Now, this is where Blake needs to use a /do. A /do describes a scene, situation, or anything else that needs to be described.
So, Blake says "/do How much money is found in the wallet?"
And John can answer with "/do 325 dollars"
Blake then can say "/me jams the wallet into his jacket, turns around, and sprints away from John."

Now, time to go over the Success or Fail (S/F?) system.
The success or fail is used to describe if a player's action with a /me or /do is successful or not.
Lets show an example;
Blake says "/me attempts to run up behind John, and tackel him to the ground."
This is where John has to answer with "/do S", or "/do F". If the action is a failure, you have to give a reason. Such as; "/do F. I stagger forward, but maintain my balance."
Any action that you want to do to another player, must be done with a "/me attempt". Otherwise, it may be considered Powergaming.

This is the end of the guide. If you need any help with any commands or actions, feel free to use the /help command, or message an admin.
Plasma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top